|2012 Awaiting Angels We Respect your Privacy Term and Conditions|
Terms and Conditions of Service
1. OUR LEGAL NOTICE
The materials in the Awaiting Angels website are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind either expressed or implied. To the fullest extent permissible and subject and pursuant to applicable law, AWAITING ANGELS disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
2. PERSONAL RISK
International travel is inherently risky. By becoming a volunteer, you acknowledge and accept these risks and those associated with living and working in developing countries. As a volunteer you must appreciate and understand that some of these activities may be outside of your personal insurance cover. Therefore, AWAITING ANGELS including any and all of its employees, managers, directors, shareholders, host families and partner organizations are not liable, to the maximum extent of the law, for any loss or harm the volunteer or associates may suffer, including but not limited to:
- Bodily injury or death;
- Emotional injury;
- Illness or disease;
- Accident or illness in remote regions without means of rapid evacuation or availability of medical supplies and facilities;
- Adequacy of medical attention once provided;
- Damage to or loss of property;
- Forces of nature;
- Dangers associated with wild or other animals;
- War or terrorism; hostage situations;
For all of our programs we require that you have travel and health insurance, including emergency evacuation, throughout your experience. Before your departure we will ask you for general information about your insurance policy. If you fail to provide us with the requested insurance information within 10 days of your start date, you will lose your spot and your fees will not be refunded.
4. IMMUNIZATION AND TRAVEL HEALTH
While we may offer you a list of suggested immunizations and travel health tips based on the Peruvian health system, we are not medical professionals and have no medical expertise whatsoever. We strongly recommend that you visit a medical professional before your trip; however, it is your sole responsibility to arrange and determine any required immunizations and medical procedures that you may need before, during and after your placement.
Furthermore, you accept and acknowledge that we have no responsibility regarding the adequacy of any evacuation plan and medical care, equipment or supplies that may be provided to you before, during or after your placement. You are solely responsible for your own welfare, and you accept and acknowledge any and all risks of personal injury or illness, emotional trauma, property damage and death that may occur as a result of your placement with us.
5. TRAVEL TO YOUR PROJECT LOCATION
You are responsible for arranging and paying all your airfare and other transport to and from Peru. While we may offer you travel advice, it is your sole responsibility to arrive in your host country in a comfortable, safe and timely manner. Additionally, start and end dates are fixed. If you arrive late to your placement or miss days during your placement, regardless of the reason, we will not reimburse you. If you stay extra days, either before or after the placement period that you signed up for, you will be charged for the additional days at a rate determined by us.
While we may offer you advice on such immigration issues as passports and visas, you are solely responsible for planning your entry and departure from foreign countries and carrying the necessary documents. We are not liable for any cost, whether financial or otherwise, that you may incur in attempting to enter or leave a country.
7. LOCAL PARTNERS
You accept and acknowledge that we organize, promote and offer programs that include accommodation, transportation and other services provided by our local partners. If you are accepted into the program that you are now applying for, prior to us confirming your placement we will ask you to read, agree and sign our terms and Conditions that, amongst other things, releases us, our owners, our employees and any persons or groups associated to us of all liability related to:
Any of our local partners´ negligent or willful acts, or failures to act including, without limitation, their partial or complete failure to deliver services to you;
Any personal injury or illness, emotional trauma, property damage or death which arises out of any service provided to you by our local partners.
Any error, misrepresentation or mistake, whether intentional or unintentional, made by any of our local partners.
8. GOVERNING LAW
This Terms and Conditions of Service document are governed by the laws of Perú.
9. PROGRAM FEES AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE
9.1 Payment of Program Fees. In consideration for Awaiting Angels services in planning and arranging a placement and program for you, you agree that you shall timely pay to Awaiting Angels all of the program fees listed in our Volunteer Information Pack.
If the start date of your placement is less than 60 days away, then the total program fee is due within 48 hours of receiving your Information Pack.
9.2 If the start date of your placement is more than 60 days away.
Nonrefundable Deposit. Upon completion of your initial application form, you shall pay a nonrefundable Program Deposit to Awaiting Angels in the amount of US$ 100.00, which represents a portion of your program fees. The payment of the Program Deposit to Awaiting Angels is, in all cases, nonrefundable and is mandatory to secure your placement.
9.3 Application Procedures. Upon receipt of your initial application, we will send you our Volunteer Information Pack, which includes confirmation of your initial application form and a term sheet, which includes a schedule identifying the deadline of the payment of the Program Deposit. Our Volunteer Information Pack is the document with official details of your entire project. Pursuant to the instructions included in the Volunteer Information Pack, you must then inform your travel arrangements in full and your travel & health insurance details by the specified date. You will be advised of your confirmed placement and project as soon as we receive your program Deposit of US$ 100.00. The program deposit is later deducted from the total program fee.
9.4 Payment of Balance of Program Fees. You hereby agree to pay to us the remaining balance of the program fees on the first day of arrival, along with a photocopy of passport, travel insurance and emergency contact numbers.
9.5 Completion of Application. We reserve the right to cancel your arranged program if you do not complete all of the required conditions and timely pay to us the total remaining balance owed by you in connection with the program fees.
10. CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
10.1 Refund Policy and Considerations. Compared to similar companies that provide comparable comprehensive volunteer service opportunities, Awaiting Angels’ Program Fees are significantly less than the fees charged by other such companies and participants are encouraged to compare AWAITING ANGELS’ program fees to the fees charged by other similar programs. As a consequence, we operate on a much smaller budget and are therefore unable to provide and does not provide an open refund policy. It is solely your decision to join our program and no applicant should participate in our programs if the applicant feels that he or she is paying more for the services than applicant will be receiving from our program. AWAITING ANGELS commits significant resources to arranging each placement and project. In most host cities, payments to volunteer coordinators, country coordinators, project staff and/or the host family are made well in advance to pay for their commitments and services. AWAITING ANGELS is unable to recover these advance payments so AWAITING ANGELS is required to adopt and enforce a strict policy against refunds, except as otherwise specifically provided in subsection 10.3 below.
10.2 Refund Restrictions. Your payment of the US$ 100.00 deposit to AWAITING ANGELS pursuant to payment section of our website is strictly non-refundable under any and all circumstances.
For participants with expedited placements whose program starting dates are within two (2) months or less, the program fee is not refundable.
10.3 Cancellation on or after start of project period. If you notify AWAITING ANGELS of a requested cancellation of a project on or after the start of the project period, no refund whatsoever will be made to you under any conditions or for any reasons.
10.4 Cancellation of Project by Awaiting Angels. If AWAITING ANGELS cancels a project before the start of the project period, AWAITING ANGELS will provide you a full refund of the applicable program fees. If AWAITING ANGELS cancels a project after the start of the project period because of a political instability, natural disaster or similar condition beyond our control, AWAITING ANGELS will refund to you a portion of the program fees based upon the remaining weeks in the project period. All refunds will be made less the costs incurred in processing the refund.
10.5 Cancellation of project due to break of rules of our Volunteer Code of Conduct: There is any refund if a volunteer break the Volunteer Code of Conduct.
10.6 Switch Fee. To change the type of project, project location, city, town or starting dates that you originally signed-up for you can request that change at least 30 days before your starting date. We will ask you to submit a new application to ensure you meet the project´s participation requirements and we do not guarantee there will be an available position for you. If we determine that you can make the switch, there is a USD$30 switch fee payable to us within 48 hours of receiving your switch confirmation letter. If we do not receive the switch fee, you may lose both your original and new placements and we will not refund you your placement and/or program fee if your start date is less than 60 days away.
11. CODE OF CONDUCT
This code of conduct sets out the standards of behavior that is expected of Awaiting Angels volunteers, not only by Awaiting Angels as a volunteer placement organization, but also by the local coordinators, the homestay families and providers of accommodation and, most importantly, the projects that we work with.
Please note that breaches of the code of conduct may result in your placement being terminated without compensation. If any crime is committed, this will be reported to the Peruvian authorities.
- Listen to, and follow the advice or requests of your local coordinator.
- Understand that you are a representative of not only Awaiting Angels but also your country of origin and act accordingly.
- Realize Awaiting Angels has a zero tolerance policy towards the possession and use of drugs and other illegal substances. If you are found in possession of, or are under the influence of such substances, you will have your placement terminated immediately.
- Respect, and seek to understand, the culture of the country you are placed in. This involves being tolerant to varying approaches of the local people (your coordinator can explain the cultural norms and advise you.)
- Follow your project rules; respect your family and local community regarding consumption of alcohol.
- Be aware of potentially different attitudes towards sexual relationships in the country which you are volunteering and understand the effect that any such relationship may have on individuals and the local community.
- Treat all people with respect and dignity.
- Dress appropriately at all times with regard to the culture you are living in.
- Not engage in political demonstrations or illegal activities.
- Understand that the project and accommodation booked and provide is non-changeable.
- Keep your local Coordinator informed of your plans about trips and weekends.
11.2 At the project
- Endeavour to maintain a positive mental attitude throughout your placement.
- Act as a conscientious member of the project team. You are relied on as a dedicated member of staff.
- Abide by all the rules of the project at which you are working and respect them as any other member of staff.
- Not accept payment of any kind for the work that you are doing.
- Work hard to achieve not only your own personal goals but also those of the project and the people and / or organization that you are helping.
- Inform your local coordinator contact at the project if you are at any time unable to fulfil the duties to which you have committed.
- Respect local custom and abide by the rules of the accommodation in which you are staying.
- Check with either the home stay family or owner of accommodation before inviting anybody to your room.
- Be aware that overnight visitors are not allowed.
- Respect the accommodation you are using and pay for any damage you may cause to the property.
- Keep your room clean and tidy.
- Not smoke in your accommodation unless the owner allows.
- Stay at the accommodation allocated to you. You are not allowed to make your own accommodation arrangement for security reasons.
- Settle any outstanding bills before leaving the accommodation.
- Be aware that there will be no refunds for anything if you decide to go on trips or leave early.
11.4 Child protection policy
This child protection policy articulates Awaiting Angels zero tolerance approach to child abuse.
NOTE: Child (plural ‘children’) In accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, ‘child’ means every human being below the age of 18 years.
- Treat children with respect regardless of race, color, sex, quantity, language, religion, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, disability, birth or other status.
- Not use language or behavior towards children that is inappropriate, harassing, abusive, sexually provocative, demeaning or culturally inappropriate.
- Not engage children in any form of sexual activity or acts, including “dating”, paying for sexual services or other acts.
- Wherever possible, ensure that another adult is present when working in the proximity of children.
- Not invite unaccompanied children into your home, unless they are at immediate risk of injury or in physical danger.
- Not sleep close to unsupervised children unless absolutely necessary, in which case you must obtain a supervisor’s permission, and ensure that another adult is present if possible.
- Use any computers, mobile phones, or video and digital cameras appropriately, and never to exploit or harass children or to access child pornography through any medium.
- Refrain from physical punishment of children.
- Refrain from hiring children for domestic or other labor which is inappropriate given their age or developmental stage.
- Immediately report concerns or allegations of child abuse in accordance with appropriate procedures.
- When photographing or filming a child, you must: before photographing or filming a child, assess and endeavor to comply with local traditions or restrictions for reproducing personal images.
- Before photographing or filming a child, obtain consent from the child or a parent or guardian of the child. As part of this you must explain how the photograph or film will be used.
- Ensure photographs, films, videos and DVDs present children in a dignified and respectful manner and not in a vulnerable or submissive manner. Children should be adequately clothed and not in poses that could be seen as sexually suggestive.
- Ensure images are honest representations of the context and the facts.
- Ensure file labels do not reveal identifying information about a child when sending images electronically.
Awaiting Angels reserves the right to use feedback and images provided by volunteers for website materials such as testimonials.
Awaiting Angels provides a service connecting volunteers to partner organizations. You agree that Awaiting Angels is not liable for any actions or omissions of any partner organization.
To the full extent permissible at law, all representations, terms, warranties, guarantees, or conditions whether implied by statute, common law or custom of the trade or otherwise, including, but not limited to, implied warranties and guarantees, are excluded.
This website is presented solely for the purpose of promoting Awaiting Angels services and those of Awaiting Angels’ partner organizations. This site is controlled and operated by Awaiting Angels from its offices in Peru. Awaiting Angels makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible to the extent local law is applicable.
Awaiting Angels does not warrant or make any representations regarding the correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise of the materials in this site or the result of their use.
Awaiting Angels and its partner organizations reserve the right to remove the volunteer from the program.
13. UNAVOIDABLE ACCIDENT
Awaiting Angels has no liability for any lack of performance, unavailability or failure of the services or its website, or for any failure of Awaiting Angels to comply with these terms and conditions, where the same arises from any cause reasonably beyond the control of Awaiting Angels.